PREP TIME: 30min | CHILL TIME: 20min | MAKES: 50
1 pkt agar agar powder, 12g (e.g ‘Swallow’ or ‘Rose’ brand)
200ml black coffee (without milk)
150ml evaporated milk (room temp)
60g sugar (any sweetener of your choice)
(For making into a block)
- Bring water to boil and add agar-agar powder, stirring till completely dissolved for about 5 min.
- Add sugar once agar-agar powder dissolved.
- Divide into 3 pots and simmer on low heat OR transfer into jugs to sit in a hot water bath while you assemble:
a) Black coffee – 100 ml black coffee + 200ml agar-agar mixture
b) Milk coffee – 100 ml black coffee + 50ml evaporated milk + 250 ml agar-agar mixture
c) Milk – 100 ml evaporated milk + 200ml agar-agar mixture.
- In a heatproof container, pour the black coffee as the first base layer. Place in the fridge to chill for about 7-9min till it is firm on the surface but still wobbly.
- Pouring the next milk coffee layer over slowly and carefully. The half-set state of the first layer will ensure that the layers do not separate. Chill again for 7-9min to let it firm up.
- Pour in the last milk layer and let it set in the fridge completely for at least 2h before serving.
*If you are serving in glasses, just divide each liquid between the glasses. You will not need to half set each layer since the jelly will not be eaten unmolded.
Recipe created by The Kitchen Society.