PREP TIME: 1h | CHILL TIME: 20min | MAKES: one 18cm chiffon cake
40g Vegetable oil
100g Top flour / Cake flour
1 tsp Baking powder
1/4 tsp Cream of tartar
5 Earl Grey tea bags (Twinnings)
1/2 tsp Vanilla extract / Vanilla bean paste
1 Lemon, zested
One 18cm chiffon pan
1. Preheat the oven to 170°C. (no fan assistance)
2. Infuse 3 bags of Earl Grey Tea in hot milk. Allow to seep for at least 30 min and then strain.
3. Sift top flour and baking powder together.
4. Separate the egg whites and egg yolks.
5. Whisk egg yolks and half of the sugar until mixture turns pale yellow or thickens. Whisk in oil, vanilla bean paste and tea mixture. Stir in the lemon zest and the tea dust of the remaining two tea bags. Fold in the flour in three separate batches.
6. Beat egg white with an electric mixer on medium speed. Add cream of tartar when it starts becoming foamy. Continue beating for 1 min. Add remaining sugar in at least two separate batches and continue beating until stiff peaks forms.
7. Take 1/3 of egg whites mixture and whisk into the egg yolk mixture until well mixed.
8. Transfer this mixture into the remaining egg whites mixture. Use a spatula to fold mixture thoroughly.
9. Pour batter into chiffon pan. The batter should leave a “ribbon pattern” on the surface.
10. Bake for 40-50 min or until the inserted skewer comes out clean.
11. Remove the cake from the oven and invert it on top of a mug or cup, and wait until it is cooled fully. (If you try to take it out of the mold while it's still hot, it will fall apart.)
Recipe created by Joanna Woo.